Fire officials have determined an improperly discarded cigarette was to blame in an apartment complex fire reported early Sunday morning.
Fire crews responded to the Pines of Wilmington, 1002 Monitor Drive, at 3:21 a.m. Sunday, according to Wilmington Fire Department Battalion Chief Randy Burton. A small fire spread to the siding of one apartment, he said. The fire was extinguished and smoke was removed from the apartment.
No one was injured. Fire units cleared the scene at 4:15 a.m. Sunday, Burton said.
Shots fired Sunday afternoon
Police responded to a report of shots fired Sunday afternoon near downtown Wilmington.
According to Wilmington Police Department Spokeswoman Cathryn Lindsay, a ShotSpotter Alert was activated in the area of South 13th and Orange streets just before 3 p.m. Sunday.
Officers found shell casings at the scene, but no injuries or property damage were reported, Lindsay said.