Charcoal grill on wooden deck sparks house fire on Oleander

PortCityDaily.com is your source for free news and information in the Wilmington area.

A weekend house fire on Oleander Drive has been ruled accidental.

Crews with the Wilmington Fire Department responded to the fire at 5018 Oleander Drive at 6:16 p.m. Sunday, according to Battalion Chief Sammy Flowers.

“Smoke and flames were showing from the home when crews arrived, and an exterior fire attack was initiated on the home,” Flowers said.

Firefighters extinguished the fire and cleared the scene by 9:41 p.m. Sunday. All occupants were reported safe, but one person had a minor ankle injury, Flowers said. There were no injuries reported to emergency personnel.

The cause of the fire was ruled accidental due to a charcoal grill that was used on a wooden deck, Flowers said. The fire caused $100,000 in damage to the home and its contents.