The nonprofit Friends of Topsail Football will welcome several former and current NFL coaches and players to Belvedere Country Club in Hampstead for its golf tournament fundraiser on Saturday.
All proceeds will be go to Topsail High School for improvements to the weight room and football stadium.
“Topsail has moved up two conferences within the last seven years with more and more families moving into the area,” said Topsail Football Coach Wayne Inman. “Pender County has a very limited budget for athletics and, as such, safety equipment and field maintenance has become more and more of a challenge to keep in good condition. The weight room is used for PE classes throughout the day and used among many athletic teams for necessary strength and conditioning.
“The game field is in need of repair. We all know the importance of staying healthy, exercising and staying active, however, the safety of our students and student athletes have to come first.”
Inman and Assistant Football Coach Jack Teachey, along with a few parents, have been instrumental in drafting celebrity football players and coaches to support their mission, according to Kathy Radley with Friends of Topsail Football.
Among the prizes and silent auction items are two golf bags with clubs (signed by Sterling Sharpe – former Green Bay Packers). A signed jersey from Dwayne Allen, helmet signed by Dwayne Allen, helmet signed by Eli Manning, and NFL footballs signed by Victor Cruz and Odell Beckham Jr. will be auctioned off.
Some of the scheduled attendees include:
- Brenton Bersin, wide receiver with Carolina Panthers and Wofford College Alumni
- Dwayne Allen, tight end with Indianapolis Colts
- Sean Ryan, Assistant Wide Receiver Coach with New York Giants
- Kevin Gilbride Jr., Assistant Tight End Coach with New York Giants
- Tony Collins, former running back with New England Patriots
- Coach John Bunting, former head coach at University of North Carolina, former linebacker with Philadelphia Eagles
- Don McCauley, former running back with Baltimore Colts alumni University of North Carolina
- Sam Huff, former linebacker with New York Giants and Washington Redskins
Registration starts at 8 a.m., with shotgun start at 9 a.m. For details, call Coach Inman at 910-978-0814.