Trask Middle evacuated due to smoke

PortCityDaily.com is your source for free news and information in the Wilmington area.

Students and staff at Trask Middle School were safely evacuated this afternoon following the detection of smoke coming from the building’s ceiling.

According to a New Hanover County Schools spokeswoman, the evacuation occurred at approximately 3:15 p.m.

The Wilmington Fire Department determined the smoke was caused by a malfunction in an HVAC unit on the roof over the cafeteria.

Students were dismissed for the day on Trask’s regular schedule from outside the building, but all after-school activities have been cancelled. No one will be allowed back into the building for the rest of the day due to health and safety concerns.

The district’s maintenance department is working to repair the HVAC unit, and classes are expected to resume as normal tomorrow morning.

Adjacent Laney High School was unaffected by the smoke.