The public is invited to comment on a draft of the Cape Fear Transportation 2040 Plan at a meeting tonight, the first in a series of meetings that will be held this month.
“This draft metropolitan transportation plan looks 25 years into the future to address a broad spectrum of federal transportation requirements for the Wilmington MPO planning area,” Mike Kozlosky, executive director of the Wilmington Metropolitan Organization, said.
The planning area includes all of New Hanover County and portions of Brunswick and Pender counties. The plan includes an examination and evaluation of potential roadway, freight/rail, mass transportation, ferry and water transportation, aviation, bicycle and pedestrian projects.
The 2040 plan “includes more bike and walking trails and road projects such as widening College Road and Gordon Road and improvements at the College Road/Oleander Drive intersection,” City of Wilmington Spokeswoman Malissa Talbert said.
It is a federal requirement that all area transportation projects funded by the federal or state governments through the use of federal funds be included in this region’s metropolitan transportation plan, which is updated every five years, Kozlosky said.
“Integral to this examination is an analysis of impacts of transportation projects on quality of life, safety, health and the environment,” he said.
The Cape Fear Transportation 2040 Plan will continue to be developed through broad public outreach. Between April 1 and April 30, residents of the Cape Fear region will be able to offer their comments on the new draft plan by visiting one of seven regional open houses or online here.
- 1-3 p.m. April 2 at Forden Station, 505 Cando St., Wilmington
- 4-6 p.m. April 7 at the Hillcrest Community Center, 1402 Meares St.
- 4-6 p.m. April 13 at Halyburton Memorial Park, 4099 S. 17th St., Wilmington
- 4-6 p.m. April 14 at Carolina Beach Town Hall, 1121 Lake Park Blvd., Carolina Beach
- 4-6 p.m. April 16 at Leland Town Hall, 102 Town Hall Drive, Leland
- 4-6 p.m. April 23 at the Pender County Hampstead Annex, 15060 U.S. 17, Hampstead
- 4-6 p.m. April 27 at Bradley Creek Elementary School, 6211 Greenville Loop Road (Spanish translation services are available at this location.)
Click here for more information or to provide comment on the plan in English or Spanish.