Subscribe to our Free Daily Headlines E-mail

To receive our Daily Headlines e-mail in your inbox every day, simply add your email below. A confirmation email will be sent to you!

Port City Radio expands to 95.9 FM and 1180 AM

PortCityDaily.com is your source for free news and information in the Wilmington area.

Port City Radio—Wilmington’s only all-news radio station—has expanded to include an additional FM signal and an AM signal.

Launched in April on 93.7 and 106.3 FM, Port City Radio expanded Saturday to 95.9 FM and 1180 AM, former home of Bach Radio.

Beau Gunn, general manager of Hometown Wilmington Media, said the change is in preparation for a new radio station that Hometown Wilmington Media will unveil later this month.

Port City Radio will remain on all four frequencies until Nov. 29, when Hometown Wilmington Media will debut a new radio station.

“We’re excited to launch our new radio station in response to overwhelming requests from listeners,” Gunn said. “There’s a lot of excitement about the new station. We’ve heard people talking about it for years, and we’ll soon be bringing it to our listeners.”

Port City Radio is the Cape Fear region’s only all-news radio station, featuring local news and sports from Port City Daily, national news from CBS News, financial news and market updates from The Wall Street Journal, traffic and weather every 10 minutes, and health and lifestyle features. Click here to listen live.

Hometown Wilmington Media is parent company to Port City Daily, Port City Radio, 98.3 The Penguin, 103.7 The Bone and the Save 30 Store.

RSS
Posted by on November 11, 2013. Filed under Brunswick County,Local News,New Hanover County,Pender County,Wilmington. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

26 Responses to Port City Radio expands to 95.9 FM and 1180 AM

1. Bruce DesChamps Reply

November 11, 2013 at 9:01 am

While I realize profit is the motive for all business, I am saddened by the loss of Bach Radio. I will NOT be listening to the new station.

• Justin Luttmer Reply

November 20, 2013 at 11:14 am

I agree. I listened to Bach Radio every day. This is a loss for Wilmington. The talk radio station stinks and I will not be tuning in.

2. George Diemer Reply

November 11, 2013 at 10:58 am

Since you changed the format on 93.7 I switched to Bach radio and now you’re taking that away.

3. Bobby Reply

November 11, 2013 at 11:30 am

According to Radioinsight.com, it looks like a Country Station will be going up on 95.9 and 1180, good competition with QQ101, but a weaker signal.

4. H Lewis Reply

November 11, 2013 at 1:29 pm

You took away the only radio station I listen to, Bach Radio. I am very disappointed. There are plenty of talk stations but none with classical music 24//7. I no longer listen to the radio, except 91.3 when they are playing music; 91.3 is too much talk for me also!

5. Sherrie Reply

November 11, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Well, I must say that I am very disappointed. Bach Radio station is about the only thing I listened too, and I even have Sirius XM. So long, I won’t be tuning into talk radio.

6. Sherry Reply

November 11, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Very disappointed to hear this change. Bach Radio was the station I listened to, and it would be welcomed back any time! In the meantime, it’s back to my CD’s I guess…

7. Rob Reply

November 11, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Just got back in town this afternoon, turned on what I thought was Bach radio and heard news talk. Now I hear it might go to country…yuck! I’m sure it’s a financial move but I will miss the calm of classical music at home and in my car. Back to Pandora or my iPhone playlist. Thankful for Bach radio while it lasted, but not a popular decision with my family.

8. Al Reply

November 11, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Having listened to Bach radio for so long I was
    very saddened to hear a bunch of hooples trying
    to report news that was already a few days old.
    Good-bye 95.9, I will not be listening to you
    anymore.

9. Edward Reply

November 11, 2013 at 10:03 pm

So frustrated with the loss of the hometown radio classical station. There is no other radio that compares. I will have to dig out some cds but it will never be as wonderfully peaceful as tuning in to bach radio. It is too bad they stuck around just long enough for many of us to get used to having them around.
    Thank you for the short time you gave Wilmington a full time classical station. I hope to have one again soon.

10. W T Guyton Reply

November 11, 2013 at 10:17 pm

VERY sad that Bach radio has gone away. :(

11. Sandy Reply

November 12, 2013 at 8:10 am

I am very disappointed in your decision to do away with Bach radio! I listened to it during all of my waking hours. It was the calmness that balanced out my otherwise stressful day. So long Bach Radio…not a wise decision on the part of Hometown Wilmington Media!

12. Alex Hill Reply

November 12, 2013 at 8:18 am

I was shocked and disappointed to get back to town yesterday after being gone for over a week, to discover that classical music on 95.9 was replaced by all-talk news and sports. What a terrible programming choice – replace classical music with talk?

13. Jeff Reply

November 12, 2013 at 9:10 am

Your station went to hell in a handbag once Chad “retired”.

• Nancy Reply

December 4, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Amen to that! Actually it was even earlier, on July 23, 2012, when the new owner dumped the entire format except for Chad. 106.7 and 980 a.m. have all the talk listeners now.

14. Jamie Reply

November 12, 2013 at 10:51 am

I discovered Bach radio when my son was two months old. The classical music was magic – he swayed to it, napped to it, and would grant me a huge grin each morning when I turned on the radio. We miss Bach radio. Thank you for that great music and the grins.

15. K L Barrow Reply

November 12, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Really,saddened by this decision Bach radio was a real advance in Wilmington radio programming. I suggest that people return to WHQR,or listen to Bach radio’s sister station in Williamsburg on the internet,Siruis XM or Classic FM from the UK.

16. TS Reply

November 12, 2013 at 4:08 pm

So sad :(
    I can’t stand WHQR. There’s always Pandora, but then I won’t hear local ads anymore. Oh well…

17. Ann Cameron and Bruce Shuman Reply

November 12, 2013 at 4:22 pm

No more Bach Radio? How could y’all do this to us? We cherished a station that fed us classical music all day long, and now, with little or no warning, it’s gone. Doesn’t Wilmington have enough news outlets? Was it necessary to kill off our classical station? We are beyond disgusted. Boo! Hiss!

18. Cleve Callison Reply

November 12, 2013 at 4:51 pm

I’m the manager of WHQR Public Radio, 91.3. Obviously I have an interest in this topic since WHQR broadcasts about 40 hours of classical music a week, with plans to bring more to the region. And we operate a 24/7 classical stream from our website, whqr.org.
    I’ve had several conversations with Tom Davis, President of 95.9′s parent. He’s a smart guy and if anyone could have brought 24/7 classical music to this market with a commercial model, he’s the one. I believe the public radio model is the way to go for classical.
    I wish 95.9 well, and I invite lovers of classical music to sample (or return to) 91.3.

19. beaug Reply

November 12, 2013 at 5:19 pm

Hi, I was reading through these comments, and understand why some of you all would be unhappy with the exit of Bach Radio. I do want to clarify that Hometown Wilmington Media does not own a “talk” radio station, but we do operate Wilmington’s only all news radio station, often hosted by the same reporters you enjoy reading here on Port City Daily.

Beau Gunn
    General Manager
    Hometown Wilmington Media

• Nancy Reply

December 4, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Beau, I was the one who organized the protest when y’all dumped the excellent conservative talk format in July of 2012. Once Chad left I stopped tuning in except for the first 20 minutes on Sunday nights for Warren’s show, and Blue Line until it moved. With all due respect this small area doesn’t generate enough news to warrant the mega-Port City Daily/news on the radio that Davis has created. 98% of your listeners are now listening to 980 am and 106.7 fm. Hope your advertisers realize this.

20. Rick Autry Reply

November 13, 2013 at 9:00 pm

For classical music lovers turn to Theclassicalstation.org. This is WCPE in Wake Forest. I promise you will not go back.

21. Sheila Reply

November 15, 2013 at 10:43 am

This is so disappointing. I am really saddened by this. I loved Bach radio! My children, boys aged 10 and 12, learned the joys of classical music from listening to this station. They used to listen every night before bed because they said it made them happy and relaxed. I will not listen to talk radio or whatever the new station is, especially if it’s country. Thank goodness I still have Pandora. Goodbye, hometown Wilmington radio. It was nice knowing you.

22. Walter L Taylor Reply

November 22, 2013 at 7:28 pm

I was saddened to hear that Bach Radio was disappearing. WHQR is the only option now. While I listen to WHQR, the classical offerings are limited to certain times of the day, and the station reflects a one-sided ideological agenda in its reporting. This is a real loss for the Wilmington area, and I will not be tuning in to the new station.

23. Tom Cotton Reply

November 22, 2013 at 8:54 pm

I too was out of town when the change took place. For the two managers who have responded, you should take some lessons from “The Classical Station” that fed “Bach Radio”. It had the best mix of Classical I have EVER heard. Admittedly, I haven’t tried the all classical version on WHQR nor do I have a Digital FM receiver but I will give it a try. If anyone is interested, you can stream the same music that Bach Radio was based on from http://www.wfcc.com/ though the ads are from Cape Cod.

You had a VERY faithful following which was growing despite little or no advertising, you had a low expense station to operate and you threw all those faithful listeners to the curb. I sure hope you find what you’re looking for with the new rollout. Bach Radio was the first station I’ve wanted to wake up to since I quit about 35 years ago. I’m using a regular alarm again. Oh well. It was GREAT while it lasted!!!