Subscribe to our Free Daily Headlines E-mail

To receive our Daily Headlines e-mail in your inbox every day, simply add your email below. A confirmation email will be sent to you!

One-time bonus, teacher raises included in Brunswick County Schools budget

PortCityDaily.com is your source for free news and information in the Wilmington area.

BrunswickCSBrunswick County Schools staff will see a boost in salaries following the board of education’s decision this week to give district employees a one-time bonus.

The board also approved raises for teachers, assistant principals and elementary and middle school principals.

Both measures were included in the district’s 2013-14 budget, adopted during a board retreat Tuesday.

Brunswick County Schools Finance Director Freyja Cahill said efficient spending in the prior and current fiscal year allowed for the bonuses. All full-time staff will receive $1,000, and part-time employees will get a prorated amount.

For a beginning teacher the bonus equates to a 3.2 percent pay increase, district spokeswoman Jessica Swencki said. Combined with the revised supplement schedule rate of 7.7 percent, a beginning teacher in Brunswick County will now earn a 10.9 percent local supplement to the state’s base salary of $30,800.

“The board and I are delighted to provide a small but well deserved bonus to a very hardworking and dedicated group of employees,” Superintendent Dr. Edward Pruden said. “The bonus in no way mitigates the need for significant and permanent increases to teacher salaries.”

The state’s 2013-15 budget, adopted earlier this month, did not include salary increases for teachers.

“We are losing outstanding teachers. If the one-time bonus and (raises) can help keep them in our classrooms, it is worth every penny,” Brunswick County Board of Education Chairman Charlie Miller said.

Employees can expect the bonus in November.

Share This Post

RSS
Posted by on August 28, 2013. Filed under Brunswick County,Latest News,Local News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

One Response to One-time bonus, teacher raises included in Brunswick County Schools budget

  1. William S. Reply

    August 29, 2013 at 9:52 am

    It is good to see that since our Governor is giving huge pay raises to his campaign supporters in State Department jobs & no pay increases to our teachers, that Brunswick County understands that teachers are what create qualified job applicants not BIG Business.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Website Development: Web Development Technology Partners, inc.