Subscribe to our Free Daily Headlines E-mail

To receive our Daily Headlines e-mail in your inbox every day, simply add your email below. A confirmation email will be sent to you!

PortCityDaily.com is your source for free news and information in the Wilmington area.

RALEIGH—A bill that would allow concealed carry permit holders to carry firearms into bars and restaurants passed in the state House today.

House Bill 937 passed its third reading 78 votes to 42 votes. It now moves on to the Senate.

The GOP-led bill expands concealed carry privileges and strengthens some laws for crimes committed with firearms.

House Bill 937 would allow concealed carry permit holders in North Carolina to carry a concealed weapon into “an assembly where an admission fee is charged or an establishment where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed,” both of which are currently illegal in North Carolina. The concealed carry permit holder would not be allowed to consume alcohol while carrying.

The bill allows for an exception if “the premises has posted a notice prohibiting the carrying of handguns on the premises.”

House Bill 937 also allows for a concealed handgun “in a locked compartment in a vehicle on the premises of a community college or public or private college or university.”

The measure would also make it a criminal offense for anyone to allow a child access to a firearm without parental consent and supervision.

The North Carolina Sheriff’s Association supports the bill, while University of North Carolina at Wilmington Chancellor Gary Miller and others in UNC system leadership oppose the measure.

House debate

During debate Tuesday afternoon on the House floor, N.C. Rep. Verla Inscoe, D-Orange, said she was concerned about the safety of children if the bill were to pass.

“Human beings don’t come with ‘good guy,’ ‘bad guy’ written on their foreheads. You get six people with guns. How do you know who are the good guys and who are the bad guys? More guns in more people’s hands is not going to make us safer. If children are exposed to more and more guns there are going to be more and more accidents,” Inscoe said.

N.C. Rep. Bert Jones, R-Rockingham, favored the bill.

“The law-abiding citizen with a gun is someone who has a gun not for committing a crime, but to protect their family from being victims of crime. Criminals, they’re carrying a weapon for the purpose of committing a crime.

“We don’t like violence. We don’t like gun violence. We’ve seen tremendous acts of violence, terrible acts of violence….long before the gun was ever invented. Anytime there’s an act of violence committed by a gun, the left wants to pass a law banning guns,” Jones said.

N.C. Rep. Marvin Lucas, D-Cumberland, said he was a longtime member of the National Rifle Association and a longtime hunter.

“I believe in guns, and I believe in gun safety, but as I listen to this debate…almost, I’ve been persuaded. But now my heart’s heavy because I’ve witnessed debate on this floor that’s been curtailed, channeled, cut off on amendments that I think can make this bill better so that many of us can vote on this bill, because we do believe in keeping our families safe.

“I want this state to be safe. We all believe in gun safety. But whenever we cut off wholesome debate that could be utilized to make this bill a palatable bill, I’m very gravely concerned,” Lucas said.

“I would have to vote no as this bill now stands. What good is a gun in a locked compartment if you’re being accosted?”

N.C. Rep. Jeff Collins, R-Franklin, said he and his wife are both concealed carry permit holders.

“I went into two restaurants in Rocky Mount Sunday, both of which serve alcohol. I didn’t imbibe one sip of alcohol, but if I had my weapon, it would have been illegal,” Collins said.

“The fact that you’re in an establishment with alcohol doesn’t mean you’re using alcohol,” Franklin said.

“I don’t fear people who, like me, have gone through the process…the training, the gun safety and accuracy. Those aren’t the people that I fear. I do want to defend myself against the people who might harm me.”

“Where do the mass shootings occur? They occur on university campuses, they occur on school campuses, they occur in restaurants, they occur in movie theaters. How does passing more regulations on concealed carry permit holders help that problem?”

“I can’t speak for anybody else, but I get far more emails…on this issue than I get on probably all other issues combined, and 95 percent of them tell me the same thing, ‘Don’t let anybody in the government take my gun away,’ so I am listening to my constituents when I support this bill,” Collins said.

UNCW

Miller opposes House Bill 937, which would allow weapons on UNC system and other colleges and universities in North Carolina if they are in a locked compartment.

“Many members of the campus community, including our police officers, share the concerns expressed by President [Thomas] Ross that the passage of House Bill 937 would create additional and unnecessary risks to the safety of our students, faculty, staff and visitors. The potential increase in gun-related incidents on campus is simply not worth the minimal convenience this bill would offer concealed carry permit holders.

“Allowing people to store weapons in their cars does not in any way benefit their personal safety while on campus; the idea of people having the time and capacity to retreat to their vehicles to arm themselves during a threat has very little chance of occurring. The realities, however, are much more harsh. We will face the possibility of guns being stolen from vehicles by people who are already demonstrating a disregard for the law by breaking into cars – and now could be armed with stolen handguns.  We could also experience injuries due to the accidental discharge of weapons.

“We need to take this opportunity to plant ourselves firmly on the right side of this issue. It’s truly a matter of public safety, which we should be protecting at every turn,” Miller said.

Caroline Curran is the managing editor of Port City Daily. Reach her at (910) 772-6336 or caroline.c@portcitydaily.com.

RSS
Posted by on May 7, 2013. Filed under Brunswick County,General Assembly,Local News,New Hanover County,Pender County. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

23 Responses to UPDATED: Bill to allow concealed carry permit holders to carry guns into bars, restaurants passes in House

1. jonc Reply

May 8, 2013 at 9:12 am

It’s so nice that the GOP in Raleigh is working so hard to change NC into SC. Now we won’t need to drive south to stock up on stupid.

• Mike Miler Reply

May 21, 2013 at 7:11 pm

It sounds as though you have all the stupid you can handle already.

2. Mad Mike Reply

May 8, 2013 at 9:44 am

The law as proposed would obviate the consumption of alcohol by the concealled cary permit holder. While I am not too concerned about my safety inside any of the restaurants I patronize, there are some parking lot configurations that give me pause as I return to my car after dark. As a 71 year old, I would be more comfortable in those locations if I had my pistol available to me.

• Mike Miler Reply

May 21, 2013 at 7:23 pm

Very reasonable. I also Have a carry permit. I’m new to N.C., but I’ve had my Virginia permit for well over a decade.
      I listened to these very same arguments in Va. and when the law passed ,……. nothing. No one carries into a bar, only restaurants who happen to serve beer or wine. I have never heard of anyone being arrested for violating the rules. No shootouts in the bars, Nothing.
      This is the only proof that I can offer to refute the ingenuous claims and fears of the paranoid few who oppose these changes. You can google for yourself. You can also checkin Ohio, I believe they passed the same laws. Still no sign of the violence the critics claim is going to happen.
      We should never allow a paranoid few to control any debate on security.

3. Bill Reply

May 8, 2013 at 10:49 am

@MadMike the stupid store called , their running out of you

• Claudia Reply

May 27, 2013 at 10:20 am

Well, it looks like Bill, the stupid store owner himself. It’s “they are” or “they’re” not “their”, hobo.

4. Robert M Raper Reply

May 8, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Did N.C. Rep. Verla Inscoe, D-Orange, really say “Human beings don’t come with ‘good guy,’ ‘bad guy’ written on their foreheads. You get six people with guns. How do you know who are the good guys and who are the bad guys?”

Does she even have a clue that the “good guys have to go through a strenuous screening process that include criminal and mental health background checks and these checks can and usually take up to 90 days to complete?

Does she further realize that the “bad guys” don’t go through any checks? That’s why they’re the “bad guys” and exactly why the “good guys” want the opportunity to legally arm themselves and defend themselves against the “bad guys!”

We hear arguments for more and more gun control every day, are we ever going to hear one arguement that makes sense or will actually prevent senseless killings?

5. Vog46 Reply

May 8, 2013 at 11:05 pm

It is not up to the Non-LEO “good Guys” to defend themselves against bad guys – if they even knew who they were. The reason? We are a nation of laws and its the laws and the Judicial system that enforces those laws that is failing.
    The “bad guys” are being helped by over zealous judges and attorneys who then influence legislators.
    In many states gun “rights” are given BACK to convicted violent felons. In some states its as early as 3 years. NC is currently at 20 years.
    Thankfully this legislature sees this and is increasing prison tomes for those felons using a gun in the act of committing their crimes.
    But – we should NOT tempt fate by allowing guns to be secured in cars when in fact vehicle break ins are the leading crimes on our university campuses state wide. This is putting a weapon in an untrained hand and it’s a temptation that shouldn’t be tacitly encouraged.
    Either allow full carry (concealed) so the guns are secured by the owners possession or don’t allow ANY on campus.
    “Good guys” with guns don’t stop all bad guys with guns. Just ask the cop in Boston that got assassinated while armed or the state trooper that got shot in the head. Murderers do not fear someone possessing a gun.
    Vog

• Mike Miler Reply

May 21, 2013 at 7:29 pm

I somewhat agree with you on your post. But you seem to not realize that while you are waiting 15 to 45 minutes for a cop, you have become a victim. I think I would rather have a chance to defend myself. Most people can spot trouble in advance and either avoid it, or at least have a few seconds to prepare for its arrival.
      As for carrying on campus, maybe a higher level of training should be required.

6. Bill Reply

May 9, 2013 at 10:51 am

@VOG46 What a baseless argument. The officers was not carrying concealed. What part of concealed carry don’t you understand? Criminals fear the unknown,ie armed homeowners, the man in the fast food line,etc.
    As far as untrained, I have seen many more proficient civilians than trained officers. Just ask all the bystanders shot by the New York police.

• t-bone Reply

May 9, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Thanks Bill,at least someone in making sense

• Vog46 Reply

May 11, 2013 at 7:39 am

Stop please.
      This legislation is tragically flawed. I agree that CWP holders are not the problem I know, I have one myself.
      I don’t like the idea of allowing guns where alcohol is served. Yes, I know a CWP holder is not supposed to drink while carrying.
      But we need to get off our high horses about CWP holders. They are humans after all and have their weaknesses. Now, a criminal does not fear the unknown, why? Because they are intent on committing the crime. A guy carrying has no chance against a criminal with gun drawn – PERIOD. the cop in Boston was assassinated and stood no chance. Also, all people were told to stay indoors correct? So CWP holders and all gun owners were rendered impotent in this fight against this particular crime. I notice no outcry over this, I wonder why?
      Finally the law would allow guns on campus – but only if stored in a car. What good would that do? The biggest crime on campus is vehicle break in making guns more available to those very people that don’t know how to use them. CWP holders will have NO, I repeat NO added protection while attending class or working on campus UNLESS they are in their car. This law won’t prevent campus rape or reduce campus crime.
      As gun owners WE have responsibility to insure that legislation is GOOD and provides increased safety for gun owners and those around us. This law does NOT do this – it makes our guns more susceptible to theft by yep, criminals.
      Parts of this legislation are good other parts are bad. I’d rather see a good bill pass than see this become law.
      Vog

• Mike Miler Reply

May 21, 2013 at 7:40 pm

What was the cop in Boston doing when he was shot? Before you say anything understand this, I am not belittling cops. But ask yourself how this happened. Was he doing like so many other cops do when they are bored, watching a video on his smart phone?
        As for the outcry in Boston about being told to stay in their houses? Try to get a gun in Boston. Try to get a permit just to buy a handgun. Then look at who found the second bomber.
        As far as carrying in a place that serves alcohol. Bars will put up signs saying no handguns allowed. The people who have permits will obey this sign, the criminals won’t. Nothing changes there. What does change is when I go out to dinner I will not have to leave my Sig-229 40 cal. pistol unguarded in my car.

7. Calvin mitchell Reply

May 10, 2013 at 8:18 am

If. More gun restrictions on the law abiding properley trained and screened. Citizen is the anwser,why does chairgo. IL have the highest murder. Rate?

8. Annie Reply

May 10, 2013 at 10:04 am

Guns in bars. What could possibly go wrong? The only good that will coome from this is a bunch of Darwin nominees will take each other out, being drunk, stupid and armed is always a recipe for a good time. The bad news is that they will probably take a few bystanders out in the process.

• Mike Miler Reply

May 21, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Again….. the bars will not let you carry in them. This bill only affects those people who would like to go to dinner without having to leave their handguns in the parking lot, unguarded, where the thugs hang out.

9. felix Reply

May 11, 2013 at 12:25 pm

this bill is going to turn nc into the ok corral

• Vog46 Reply

May 13, 2013 at 9:37 am

No it won’t.
      ON one hand it increases penalties associated with crimes committed with a gun. That’s a good thing.

It would allow CWP holders to carry in places that serve alcohol. That puts the onus of responsibility on the CWP holder and that is taking an unnecessary chance IMHO. CWP holders are NOT a problem – not normally. The question is, would they become a problem? They have not had that ability before so there’s no empirical evidence one way or the other.

Then there’s the campus carry which is useless. It allows CWP holders to keep guns in their cars and nowhere else. This affords no extra protection to anyone.
      Seems like someone needs to write some GOOD gun legislation……

Vog

• Mike Miler Reply

May 21, 2013 at 7:44 pm

They tried spreading that nonsense in Virginia and Ohio just recently. Turned out to be just the vivid imagination of the paranoid left.

10. Bill Reply

May 14, 2013 at 9:18 am

Another impotent argument. If I or a student want or need to stop at an institution that does not permit ccw, I may leave it locked in my car. This allows one to continue carrying once off the property. That felonious acts in the parking lot should impede your constitutional right to self defense is incredulous . Should I not keep a firearm in my house because someone might break in?
    And as for the Boston tragedy , people were asked to stay indoors. It was not a ccw holders job to seek out the bombers. That’s what the police are for. However it is job to protect himself and his family if confronted while at home or on his property. You seem to equate ccw with proactively seeking out crime.it is not! It is a last defense of oneself.

11. Patrick Reply

May 24, 2013 at 1:51 pm

I support this House Bill. I have to leave my handgun at home when I travel 100 miles to UNCG, my daughter attends college there. I would rather stop and lock up my gun just before driving onto campus than to leave it at home. As far as carrying into bars and restaurants that serve alcohol, I don’t believe that CCH holders are instantly going to start drinking while carrying if they do not drink and carry now. Why would any CCH holder risk losing their permit by doing so?

12. H C Hill Reply

May 29, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Concealed carry in a restaurant would turn North Carolina into the OK Corral? Darwin nominees and stocking up on stupid, blood in the streets?
    Good grief, is this the best argument you have or are you going to continue with liberal or gun-fraid folks that think someone else will “save” you in that 3 minute time frame that violent homicides occur in.
    Yes, there are idiots that have CCP’s, but there are far fewer of them percentage wise as are on this post. Check some facts will you,please. Texas study indicates CCP holders are less likly to commit ANY crime than the general population let alone one involving a gun. In the sates where resaurant carry is legal there has been NO increase in gun violence and minimal violations of any related laws by CCP’s. The likly danger as correctly stated by an above poster is on the way to the retaurant. Unless you know what it is like to stare down the wrong end of a gun barrel, dodge a criminal swinging a knife or baseball bat etc. You don’t have a clue. When you say you are afraid for your kids saftey because I may be carrying concealed. Well I’ve probably been sitting next to you at MC Donalds & haven’t shot you yet. Why would I anywhere else. I am the sober one in the room, I’m the designated driver and I am the best witness for police or gosh I might even save your life for you.

13. Anonymous Reply

June 5, 2013 at 11:43 pm

Glad to hear this. Gun control is worth it? Funny…Chicago has the strictest gun laws in America, yet they also have the highest gun murder rate. Weird!! The laws they’ve passed aren’t working, so you want more?! Gotta love Lib “logic”.