Subscribe to our Free Daily Headlines E-mail

To receive our Daily Headlines e-mail in your inbox every day, simply add your email below. A confirmation email will be sent to you!

Port City Radio, Wilmington’s only all-news radio, to launch Monday

PortCityDaily.com is your source for free news and information in the Wilmington area.

It’s here.

Port City Radio, Wilmington’s first and only all-news radio station, will launch Monday, April 1.

Formerly The Big Talker FM, you can hear Port City Radio on 93.7 and 106.3 FM, and streaming online at portcityradio.com.

With the retirement of southeastern North Carolina’s most listened-to talk radio host, Chad Adams, officials with Hometown Wilmington Media decided to change the news-talk format of The Big Talker FM to an all-news format.

“Port City Radio is the perfect complement to Port City Daily. With the departure of Chad, who is truly irreplaceable—not just because of his role in the community, but for the respectful exchange of ideas he was able to create and foster on his show—we thought it was time to move in a different direction,” Hometown Wilmington Media General Manager Beau Gunn said.

“We decided to give Wilmington something it was missing—all-news radio with a focus on local news, sports, traffic and weather,” Gunn said.

Port City Radio will have a live host 6 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday through Friday.

The local news focus will include local news and sports updates throughout the day, plus an in-depth look behind the news with Port City Daily reporters every morning with morning host and Port City Radio Program Director Aimee Bowen.

“Port City Radio is your hands-free device for Wilmington news. Everybody is busy. They’re on the go all the time. This is a unique product that gives you unrestricted access to local and national news. Our partnership with Port City Daily creates the ability to provide constant, local content,” Bowen said.

You can catch Reporters’ Corner at 7:41 a.m. weekdays, featuring Port City Daily Managing Editor Caroline Curran and reporters Ben Brown, Joe Catenacci, Christina Haley and Jonathan Spiers.

Then, in the 8 a.m. hour, local newsmakers will join Bowen for the Community Connections segment.

In addition to local news gathered and produced by the Port City Daily editorial team, you’ll hear traffic and weather every 10 minutes.

“Traffic isn’t always heavy in Wilmington, but when it happens, now you’ll know where and why with traffic and weather on the 8s,” Bowen said.

Port City Radio has teamed up with The National Weather Service (NWS) Wilmington office to provide listeners with frequent and accurate weather updates and extended forecasts.

“The National Weather Service is the most accurate weather forecaster in the world. We decided an official partnership would be the best way to give our listeners the most accurate weather updates and forecasts,” Bowen said.

Other voices you’ll hear on Port City Radio include Jim Whitmeyer, co-host of The Morning Disaster with Bryan and Jim on The Bone (103.7 FM). Whitmeyer will continue with his morning duties from 7-10 a.m., then man the Port City Radio studio from 10-2 p.m.

At 2 p.m., J.T. McVicker takes the reins until 6 p.m.

Kim Czornij, morning host on The Penguin (98.3 FM), will also have a role on Port City Radio as she recaps all the latest goings on in and around the Port City by featuring The Scene, the area’s most comprehensive community and events calendar found exclusively at portcitydaily.com.

CBS Radio News will provide national news updates, and financial news will be powered by The Wall Street Journal and the Dow Jones Money Report.

You can still catch your favorite local evening programs, including The Sports Connection with Joe Catenacci at 6 p.m. Mondays, The Economic Zone with Jim Russo at 6 p.m. Tuesdays, Rassin on Real Estate at 6 p.m. Wednesdays, and The Car Doctor at 6 p.m. Thursdays.

The Dave Ramsey show will air from 7-10 p.m. weeknights, followed by Dr. Joy Browne from 10 p.m.-1 a.m.

Overnight America will air 1-5 a.m., followed by The Wall Street Journal This Morning 5-6 a.m.

RSS
Posted by on March 29, 2013. Filed under Brunswick County,Burgaw,Business,Carolina Beach,Leland,Local News,New Hanover County,Pender County,Southport,Wilmington,Wrightsville Beach. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

52 Responses to Port City Radio, Wilmington’s only all-news radio, to launch Monday

1. L Bass Reply

March 29, 2013 at 6:43 am

Nail meet coffin. Thanks Davis Media for giving “Wilmington something it was missing” and no one was asking for or wants.

Your competition is about to see a spike in ad revenue.

2. Marlene Reply

March 29, 2013 at 8:40 am

If I wanted to listen to news (which I’m sick of)
    I would turn the TV on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Stanley Reply

March 29, 2013 at 8:45 am

With the retirement of Chad Adams, it will be the retirement of the station. The station has gone from the most listened to station in this market to probably the least listened to in the market. Who ever is programing the station is in the same league with the man that decided to change the formula of Coke years ago and Ted Turners adding color to the old B&W Movies. I predict this is going to be the Edsel of local radio. To make it simple for you this is the final step in a really stupid move.

• Sue Reply

March 29, 2013 at 9:41 am

I absolutely agreed. Chad Adams was the only reason I was still listening. I am so sad to see him go but I wish him all the best. This radio station is dying a dead by a thousand cuts.

4. David Reply

March 29, 2013 at 10:26 am

Chad Adams will be missed — what a pro! I’ve lived in a number of cities and the All News format is boring, especially for a small city market like Wilmington. But, from the owner’s perspective, it’s cheap to produce. Unfortunately, listeners will soon find out that “you get what you pay for” and will move on.

5. James Reply

March 29, 2013 at 11:31 am

I give it 6 months at best, more like 3.

6. Larry Lawson Reply

March 29, 2013 at 12:20 pm

OK….not that we are entering the baseball season we could say that these radio stations are “GOING, GOING, GOING, GONE”

7. jeramy Reply

March 29, 2013 at 1:11 pm

I hope this is just a build up to an April fool’s joke. Otherwise it will be a sad day for Wilmington.

8. Pete Reply

March 29, 2013 at 1:12 pm

I have been a loyal listener for 10 years. It truly saddens me that I turned this station off for the final time at Chad’s leave. Since the change, last summer, there has been to reason to listen past 10:00 A.M. Now there is no reason to listen all. Farewell to a once great radio station! By the way, my hunger for conservative radio is far from over. Anybody any know of any other stations this might fill this void?

9. ed bianchi Reply

March 29, 2013 at 1:26 pm

I was very disappointed to hear this AM that Chad Adams is retiring. He has been a very able, well knwolegeable and smart voice for the conservative (and common sense) movement. He will be missed and I wishing the best.
    On the other hand, the new programming sucks…!
    We need intelligente news commentaries and analysis.Otherwise I would watch TV news.
    It is a big,BIG mistake,but heck,is all about $$$

10. Chris Stevens Reply

March 29, 2013 at 2:14 pm

I appreciate the change! More local news and information is a good thing. There’s plenty of outlets for people’s “opinions” but some of us just want information about our community and whats going on. Some of us don’t need to be told what to think. I wish the new station luck, and appreciate your efforts to innovate and try new things in local programming.

The people so in love with the “conservative” format should be wishing you luck as a local business trying to do something for Wilmington instead of adding more syndication or plugging in a generic music format. I certainly do!

11. gene pollock Reply

March 29, 2013 at 2:37 pm

The “Big Talker” just went “Silent”!!!

12. Drew Reply

March 29, 2013 at 3:07 pm

Well now that y’all are moving Dave Ramsay to the night time, I truly have no reason to listen anymore. A shame, I loved listening to the show while driving. Guess it’s back to NPR!

13. William Hoehlein Reply

March 29, 2013 at 3:39 pm

This is why I listen to Talk Radio on iHeart Radio. I think this was a BAD programming decision and will be a train wreck. I may be wrong, but I don’t think so.

14. paul b Reply

March 29, 2013 at 3:58 pm

all i can say is the city council and county commissoners will run rampade now
    i bet they are happy happy happy

15. Dennis Reply

March 29, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Pathetic. After blue line tomorrow,Ill be turning the dial for good.

16. Joyce Grant Reply

March 29, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Not only is the best voice in local radio leaving his morning show, but it also appears you are deep-sixing Coast to Coast am. You have removed any reason I would continue to listen to your station and I doubt that I will be the only one turning you off.

• mike downing Reply

March 31, 2013 at 1:39 pm

I agree!!! I love coast to coastAM…,and so did my co-workers,it was the only reason this station was in my presets.XM,here I come!

17. Becky Reply

March 29, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Will miss Chad Adams and the variety of daily programs. Back to the music stations!

18. paige Reply

March 29, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Chad gave us the news we wanted, the guests we needed to hear, the objectivity we craved, all joined with lots of perspective & humor. Importantly, he championed local issues that needed an area wide voice. He helped so many organizations with their events and causes. No one will fill his shoes. Our community will miss him in so many ways.

19. Charley Reply

March 29, 2013 at 5:31 pm

Seriously?? No one wants this, you have just lost your entire audience! This was my favorite station and you are now the worst! Horrible, Horrible decision!

20. Brunswick1765 Reply

March 29, 2013 at 6:52 pm

Wonder how long the station’s employees will last under this new model. Looks like all they are doing is asking them to do an additional 12 hours of work with no additional help (plus minus Chad Adams). This station has been all about the Port City Daily every since they invented it. I agree with James (3-6 months) and they will all be looking for jobs as they will be as burnt out as Chad got. Good by Big Talker as I have already changed my radio “Pre-sets.”

21. Jose Reply

March 29, 2013 at 8:11 pm

Adios big yacker; about time for something progressive.

22. Allan Reply

March 29, 2013 at 9:26 pm

Sad that you have tumbled so badly the past year. First you cast off Clark Howard and Neal Boortz. Now Chad. Ramsey at night? Don’t think so. Thank heaven for my Internet radio. Redeye Radio, bring it on.

23. Jessie Reply

March 30, 2013 at 10:35 am

Can’t wait for this to launch! So sick of hearing all of those right wing nuts give their crazy opinions! It was time for a change. Go BIG TALKER!

24. Marlene Reply

March 30, 2013 at 10:43 am

I’m switching my dial to 99.5 hot talk station out of Myrtle Beach. If you live South of Oak Island you should be able to get the signal.
    After all,we are now a part of the MB metro area!
    Good BYE Big Talker…it was nice listening to you BEFORE the changes.

25. RCD Reply

March 31, 2013 at 12:04 am

Sad to see (hear) Chad go but wish him well. I toletated when Big Talker left Neal and Clark for WSJ and Dave Ramsey but now trying to go all news all day…im with the rest….i am changing my presets or possibly will finally consider sirius. Worst decision this media group has done…they must have been bought by George Soros

26. Dan Reply

March 31, 2013 at 7:24 am

If I was an advertiser on this station, I would cancel immeadiately. The leftist are taking over our airways in the name of political correctness and spreading their message.

27. Sgt Hardy Reply

March 31, 2013 at 8:58 am

If you were an advertiser, you could spell. The governor is spreading his crap right on your head and you don’t care, but this gets you riled. The big talker was just that…just like the big blowhards who are selling our resources off to the highest bidder, killing education while feedin guns to idiots who don’t realize the diff between puffed up patriot freedom and freedom to breathe and drink water. Educate yourself or stay dumb. Any news that is serious is welcome, since the tv news has gone to the toddlers of triteness and stupidity. Kudos to the thinkers.

28. Liz Reply

April 1, 2013 at 8:31 am

Turned it on this morning for about 10 minutes and, as I figured, it was pathetic. Done with Big Talker until they come to their senses.

29. Bill Reply

April 1, 2013 at 6:10 pm

What are you thinking? I am sorry to see Chad go, and now Smerconish who was a breath of fresh air after Sean’s rants. I get my news on TV before going to work. I wonder who you all polled to make this decision. I’m another deserter, sorry. Hope it works out for you, sincerely.

30. Denise Reply

April 1, 2013 at 8:30 pm

I do not like the new format. I listened to Chad Adams every AM and Dave Ramsey @ lunch. I will no longer be listening to your station. I can access news and weather on my phone!

31. Jay Reply

April 2, 2013 at 6:31 am

First they replaced great shows like Clark Howard & Hannity, now no coast to coast am ? What are you thinking? No reason to listen to this station any more.

32. Michael Reply

April 2, 2013 at 8:37 am

Well, I read all the reply comments and I think I saw 2 maybe 3 that thought the change would be good. They were all from the left leaning “Low Information Voter” crowd. Who would have seen that coming? Chad was the voice of reason for this area and you probably ran him off with the obvious changes. Well here ya go! You have just joined the “Lame Stream Media”. Knock yourself out…
    So, I’ll be going elsewhere to listen to radio. Congratulations, hope you come to your senses soon.

33. Penny Reply

April 2, 2013 at 1:53 pm

There are no words to describe how disappointed I am. I have been around for the other changes and they have been mild conpared to this.

How dare you run an advertisement that you can advertise during the DAVE RAMSEY show when you are airing CRAP instead of his show… let me tell you the news every 10 minutes…The bridge is being inspectedc let me tell you for the 100th time today! I will not be here for your next change. I hope all your patrons find themselves a decent replacement… It will not be hard to find something better than this.

How about answer your phone so we can make sure you know how we feel!!!! This mailbox is full!!!! BET IT IS!!!! And we know why!!!!

34. Bryan Reply

April 2, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Its terrible!! I have removed the autosets on my car radio so I accidently won’t listen to non-stop commercials and repetative news. This is a great format for AM radio which I don’t listen to either. Please MOVE IT TO THERE!!!!!

35. L Bass Reply

April 3, 2013 at 7:54 am

Uncle, Uncle…OK we give up.

I was hoping it was just a very elaborate April’s Fools joke on the community when you launched this abortion on us.

Let’s see, flights are on time. That’s news? Then we are forced to listen to ‘fumbles’ and her ah, uh, umm from the Port City Daily “newsroom”. Maybe you can replace them with those “30% more monkeys” you keep advertising.

I used to hear radios tuned to The Big Talker in businesses and autos daily. I haven’t heard Port City Radio on anyone’s radio yet for 3 days. Hope you’re giving your advertisers huge discounts, because no one’s listening.

36. Dr. Johnny Fever Reply

April 3, 2013 at 1:09 pm

The comments above are an entertaining read.

Our community could use more news – I hope the station will find a clear voice and develop a healthy approach to local radio news. We could use it.

Hearing dedicated conservative talk radio fans complain that the program change is “all about the money” is humorous in its irony. Isn’t radio a business designed to make money?

I “get it” that your favorite programming source has gone away and appreciate that it often feels like a personal slight from the company. Radio IS that way – we feel a personal relationship with the formats we like.

But a right-leaning station effectively alienates a huge chunk of their potential audience right out of the gate. Hence, they limit attractiveness for advertisers. The decision to go with news is a form of diversifying the product for a broader audience.

I found the comment about the “left” taking over the radio airwaves laughable. Top 40? Adult contemporary? Country music? Classic rock? 4+ Christian stations? Exactly where is the left-wing conspiracy on radio in this market? NPR? That’s one out of 20+ stations. Most stations are playing the safest list of songs they can get away with while selling as much airtime as possible. Sounds like capitalism to me.

I hope the new format smooths out in time.

37. Marlene Reply

April 3, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Just heard someone (Tom?)on the radio with Aimee comparing Chad to Elvis…And yes, Chad was very good.
    But when Elvis( Chad) was gone… another “MUSIC” single or group became the next Elvis. I have been a talk radio listener for about 25 years and I did become used to one host many times , but for the most part when they moved on I became a loyal listener to the next one. BUT THE FORMAT STAYED THE SAME…Port City took a 180 on talk show fans( I don’t care whether it is conservative or liberal)it’s the Talk Format that I feel we are all upset about. There are many people (retirees and people at work) that like to listen for more than 20 minutes, but the cycle of this repeating the same thing all day 6-6 is too much. You are now catering to people that are not able to listen to radio for more than 10 min. on their way to and fro work. Go figure?
    PS This has nothing to do with how I feel about Aimee and Ben Brown and others that work so hard on the Port City Daily website…that I do visit, but don’t need to hear the same stuff on the radio over and over and over and over.

Good Luck.

38. Matt Reply

April 4, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Goodbye Boortz
    Goodbye Clark Howard
    Goodbye Chad Adams

What should we replace this with?
    “Good morning listeners, this is PORT CITY RADIO again for the every-5-minutes traffic report. Several pine-cones have fallen at the intersection of Military Cutoff and Eastwood so please use caution.”
    “We also have a great story to tell you…on our website.” “Stay tuned for more traffic reports in 5 minutes and the story an incoming freshman at Laney High School showing up late for swim practice.”

39. Ricky Mack Reply

April 5, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Never have a seen a more successful attempt at broadcasting virtually NO content for hours on end. Why? This kind of empty radio format will end disastrously, in fairly quick order. How many people really need flight updates from ILM in a market this small? What next, moisture-content of drying paint, updated on the 8′s every ten minutes? Gimme a break. And something worthwhile to listen to.

40. Pete Reply

April 5, 2013 at 11:49 pm

No one will read this, actually some will, but no one from this channel will. This new format is the worst ever. I was not pleased with the format change last Summer, but I tolerated it. But this change, wow, just wow. Has there ever been a program director who has ignored their listeners this badly? Wow. Non-stop repetitive traffic reports (this is not NYC), stupid airport reports, constant reporting on what time it is, redundant weather reporting, redundant reporting on…everything. Is this the “redundant” news network. I’m actually tired of typing redundant…but that’s what they do now 12 hours a day. They used to be unbelievable, and it so saddens me what they have become. I guess we’ll meet on the AM dial?

41. Russ Reply

April 7, 2013 at 9:42 am

This new format is soooooooooo boring, I don’t know how the hosts can repeat the same stories over and over. What a joke!

42. GTB Reply

April 7, 2013 at 11:03 am

I will appreciate being able to get the news and weather in 20 minutes.

43. Melissa Reply

April 8, 2013 at 7:20 am

My husband and I were long time listeners of the Big Talker FM, we loved hearing all the news of the world, country, state and city while we drove around. Now it’s a bunch of commericals for local stores in town, weather and traffic. This is awful and I hate it. I turned off the station. I hope the Big Talker comes to their senses very soon.

44. Jan Reply

April 8, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Very disappointed. I kept looking for Chad Adams and tolerating very poor morning radio. I thought perhaps he was on vacation and I was feeling sorry for those that were filling in for him because it was such a bad job. I have no reason to listen to 93.7 now. Especially since you moved Dave Ramsey. Your programming stinks!

45. Art Sauer Reply

April 8, 2013 at 2:42 pm

So I used to listen to Dave Ramsey and other things that the website still has listed as part of the programming. After emailing the station’s programming manager Aimee, I still have not heard back about why these things are still listed. The radio station is in demise. Now I listen to what I want via the internet. Too bad. Based on the rest of the comments I’ve read, the radio station has trashed it’s listeners and now has no more influence than NPR.

46. Vog46 Reply

April 16, 2013 at 10:05 am

I came over here when the Star News announced they would CHARGE for online news content. Many people are upset with that decision by Bob “Money Grabber” Gruber.
    Port City Daily fills that void and I expect many SNO readers to come on over, and begin commenting on articles here.
    I thank PCD for being here.
    That said let me comment on the radio station. I have always disliked talk radio from Alan Combs to Sean Hannity to Boortz the air waves were full of egotistical buffoons who’s political “slant” was more important than truth. They crossed that fine line between being hard line news people and being editorialists or pundits and they purposely want that lined blurred.
    News makes YOU think. Punditry lets THEM think for you.
    I don’t listen to radio much anymore, sorry to say. The spoken word without being able to see the speaker has lost it’s viability in today’s video dominated world. The printed newspaper is in much he same boat. E-editions are replacing it, and quickly.
    Stop the fixation, businesses change to maintain or enhance profitabiltiy. If the Big Talker changed it was probably driven by market forces – or profits.
    If YOUR precious opinions counted financially to a point where they were profitable for the station they’d still be on the air. They are not – that’s proof that in spite of YOUR listening, it was not enough to save the format.
    The SN is about to get the same lesson – as will it’s readers.

Vog

47. Nancy S Davis Reply

April 18, 2013 at 9:06 pm

I too am dissapointed. I loved Coast to Coast that ran overnights. I hope that the good pastor that has a show on your station didn’t have anything to do with that. Coast to Coast dealt with matters and subjects that are not in the media mainstream.

When a station changes formatting so often, to me, it’s a cry for help. I hope you are listening to your old listeners and bring back some of the old formatting.

***And enough already with Dave Ramsey! He really can be quite a jerk!!

48. Myron Nix Reply

April 26, 2013 at 11:34 am

For those of you that may not know I found another outlet to get the views. On smartphones you can download “I heart Radio” and listen to any radion station that carries your favorite show. I listen to 640 am out of Fayetteville. Listen through your bluetooth or Aux jack in your car.

49. Tom Cotton Reply

November 22, 2013 at 8:30 pm

I too have found the new format to be less than desirable. In addition, they traded in Bach Radio that they kept on a measley 250 watt low power station and an AM station for a THIRD station with the same stuff low appeal talk. So now it seems like they have lost even more listeners. Seems like they are putting more holes in a sinking ship. Who feeds them the info to make such bad decisions???