Subscribe to our Free Daily Headlines E-mail

To receive our Daily Headlines e-mail in your inbox every day, simply add your email below. A confirmation email will be sent to you!

Morning host Chad Adams leaving The Big Talker

PortCityDaily.com is your source for free news and information in the Wilmington area.

Chad Adams

Southeastern North Carolina’s most listened-to morning talk radio host, Chad Adams, is leaving The Big Talker FM.

Adams has hosted Mornings with Chad Adams on The Big Talker FM (106.3 and 93.7 FM) since 2010.

“It’s a good time for me to professionally move on,” Adams said about his decision.

“I have truly enjoyed being a part of the southeastern North Carolina community. It has been one of the most incredible experiences of my life. I am deeply appreciative of the opportunity. I am proud of the guests we’ve had on and the tone of the show.

“I am very proud that we were able to rise above the pettiness and the personal attacks. I feel like we were really able to advance the discussion about important issues in southeastern North Carolina and North Carolina. I’m looking forward to the next challenge,” Adams said.

Adams’ last day on air will be Friday, March 29.

“Chad has served the community and our company with hard work and dedication for the past three years.  We are sad to see him go and wish him the best in all of his new endeavors,” Beau Gunn, general manager of Hometown Wilmington Media, said.

Aimee Bowen, program director for The Big Talker FM, has served as Adams’ producer since he joined The Big Talker team in 2010.

“It has been an honor and a pleasure to work with Chad over the past few years. His genuine passion for wanting to make the community a better place came through over the airwaves every day, and I am going to miss the heck out of him—so will southeastern North Carolina.

“Never have I met anyone who has the ability to so rapidly connect the dots on 100 different things after a single topic is brought up—his wiring works perfectly for talk radio. He has been informative and passionate, not angry, when it comes to local, state and national issues and topics we cover on the show. I think his approach was refreshing to the community and allowed for a more broad appeal. We are very lucky to have had him as part of our team, and wish nothing but the best for him,” Bowen said.

Prior to joining Hometown Wilmington Media, parent company of Port City Daily, Adams worked for Americans for Prosperity (AFP), one of North Carolina’s most active grass-roots organizations, where he served as development officer for North Carolina. He also served as director of the Center for Local Innovation and vice-president of development for the John Locke Foundation.

Adams’ political career began in 1998, when he was first elected county commissioner in Lee County. He went on to serve as vice-chairman for the Lee County Board of Commissioners.

He is a graduate of the University of North Carolina at Wilmington, attended graduate school at N.C. State University and is a fellow of the North Carolina Institute of Political Leadership.

In 2002, Adams was recognized by the N.C. Junior Chamber of Commerce as one of five Outstanding Young North Carolinians for his political and community work. In 1998, he was recognized by the National Junior Chamber of Commerce as one of America’s Outstanding Young Leaders and was given the Charles Kulp Memorial Award.

RSS
Posted by on March 15, 2013. Filed under Business,Latest News,Local News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

25 Responses to Morning host Chad Adams leaving The Big Talker

1. James Legg Reply

March 15, 2013 at 10:47 am

I wish the best for Chad. He has the unique ability to discuss a complicated issue and present it in a way where anyone can understand it. Now that he is leaving the “Big Talker” there is no reason for me to listen to that station again.

2. chris anderson Reply

March 15, 2013 at 12:32 pm

he will be missed here in south eastern nc

3. L Bass Reply

March 15, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Who didn’t see this coming with the new ownership. Chad made the best of a bad situation because of the poor management decision to change the station’s format from informative talk to a PCD info-mercial. The Big Talker has become the ‘Port Silly Daily’ as Warren Sprouse so eloquently stated with his Freudian slip last week.

All the best to you Chad, I’ll miss our daily chats in the chatroom for the past 2+ years.

And so long Big Talker/PCD. Chad is leaving and so am I. Only one reason remains to listen and that’s Blue Line Radio.

4. Jeff Reply

March 15, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Chad has done an outstanding job as the conservative voice in this area. I always liked the interviews with those who may not sway to the right. Chad always treated all guests with respect. Just getting Mayor Saffo to come in on multiple occasions was a herculean feat. I believe the Mayor knew the interview would be tough but not become a personal attack. Good luck to Chad, and please stay with us Aimee. You are a great producer and your comments added thoughtful contributions to the show.

5. Alexander Reply

March 15, 2013 at 7:12 pm

I stopped listening to the station when they dropped Hannity, Boortz and Levin. I still listen to some of them on XM. I was encouraged by Chad to provide feedback when they were cut off. Numerous calls to the station went unanswered. It was clear that the liberal movement got to the station management and we had no ability to fight them.
    I wish Chad all the best. I really enjoyed listening to him.

6. Lynsey Norris Reply

March 15, 2013 at 8:01 pm

I wish Chad the best. But I sure will miss listening to him every morning.. I was shocked to hear he is leaving. But the best of wishes. And good luck to the person who will be following in his footsteps, they will have some big shoes to fill.

7. Richard Matthews Reply

March 16, 2013 at 5:22 am

Conservative talk radio is leaving North Carolina. Who is behind this? All we hear around Charlotte is sports and music. I listen to a Charleston, SC station because they hired Tara Servatius, who was once the only real journalist in Mecklenburg county.
    She has a podcast on iTunes.

8. Sarah Reply

March 16, 2013 at 7:02 am

So sad to hear that Chad is leaving. I think of him as the “George Malley” (Phenomenon) of Wilmington. He just absorbs any and all information and can speak on any topic intelligently without being condescending. Hopefully he will stay in politics as our conservative voice. Wish him all the best.

9. Bill Reply

March 16, 2013 at 8:35 am

I miss having Chad as a county commissioner when we both lived in Lee Co. We had some fun at Chamber of Commerce meetings. It was a pleasure, and very informative, to keep up with Wilmington area, state and national issues with Chad as our commentator and interviewer. Chad, best of luck, and keep telling it like it is.

10. Bob Miller Reply

March 16, 2013 at 10:22 am

The Big Talker has lost it. They are now a news station which you can get on almost any other station and BT has less local news. They use to have some great programming. What they have now is boring. Chad was the last fresh thing that was on their schedule. I hope it was his choice to leave. Maybe they want to go the way of the main stream media.

11. I too will miss Chad and pray Blessings for him and his loved ones. But we mostly ceased listening to The Big Talker a few months ago when they unceremoniously dumped Neal Bortz and Clark Howard…

Old Honkey Rapper

12. Ron Reply

March 16, 2013 at 1:45 pm

I almost wish I hadn’t seen this story, what a crushing blow to my mornings. I could always look forward to having my mind set on fire with new ideas and new perspectives. This is a great loss to the Wilmington community. Of course, I wish Chad well, but I just have to say that I have this overwhelming desire to scream, “Don’t Do It!”. Their are a lot of politicians very happy about this. So, where are you going Chad? Are you still going to be on air?

13. Charles Gaiser Reply

March 16, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Chad was the only reason that I continued to tune in to the big talker. When they dropped Bortz and Hannity and added the jerk (Smerconish)I stopped listening except in the AM. Now I will find another talk station that makes sense.

14. Deborah Reply

March 16, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Have you heard where Chad is going? I can only hope I will be able to listen!!

15. Ken Merritt Reply

March 17, 2013 at 8:40 am

Good riddance. I gave up on the big Talker when they gave up on Boortz. I don’t listen any more and never enjoyed the Chad Adams segments I accidently heard.

16. Ernest G. Reply

March 17, 2013 at 8:50 am

Boortz,Hannity,Levin,Howard and now Adams. Where have all the good guys gone? We’ll miss Y’all!!!

17. Jim Reply

March 17, 2013 at 9:33 am

Ditto what Charles said. Good luck Chad. So long Big Talker.

18. emily Reply

March 18, 2013 at 12:05 pm

I invited Chad into my car every morning. His show is the only show I have ever called or felt comfortable enough to call. Once the format changed at the BT I was discouraged and now stream most information from my smart phone every evening.I will miss the guests on the local level and the national level. I suppose I will discover podcasts as I believe the BT will now have talk I do not care to hear.

19. w. strickland Reply

March 19, 2013 at 9:50 am

Really? Chad Adams is leaving? The worst possible thing that I can imagine. my mornings were filled with a guy with real ideas that I could connect with. By far the best radio talk host ever! Never listened to the big talker until Chad Adams so so long Big Talker!! you suck!!

20. 4Liberty Reply

March 19, 2013 at 10:53 am

Where is he going? The “He’s leaving” headline takes 2 words to post. The real news would be where he is going.

Anyone?

Going to miss Chad and his guests. I first got my mind blown when driving to work one morning trying to find something good on the radio when I stumbled on some “whacko” talking about Jury Nullification….

JURY NULLIFICATION IN NC! I tuned in every chance I could get after that. Now who is going to be left to spread these Ideas of Liberty and Freedom?

21. not curtis Reply

March 20, 2013 at 10:19 pm

I hope they bring Curtis back. He is awesome and totally not gay.

22. b guy Reply

March 22, 2013 at 10:02 am

I enjoyed sparring with the folks on the Big Talker chat room and I enjoyed Chad and Aimee’s input as well. Listening in the morning just got that much bleaker with Chad leaving. While I am “on the other team” I always felt that Chad was fair in his approach and I will miss his intellectual toughness.

I listen MUCH LESS since the management change and while I thought that dumping Hannity and Levin were good moves I think that eliminating Boortz when he was in “FIGMO” mode during the last election cycle was a big blunder. The whole separatist/survivalist/religious slant to many of the commercials and the overnight time slot are disturbing as well.

Best of luck Chad in whatever you pursue in the future. You will be missed.

23. Heather H Reply

March 29, 2013 at 4:15 am

R.I.P. Bigtalker !!! You won’t last !!

24. Verne Strickland Reply

March 30, 2013 at 1:02 am

Chad: Dropped you a note recently about your plans. Would like to visit you soon, maybe lunch, to talk over some ideas. My wife and I live downtown. Phone 910.815.0120. vernestrickland@aol.com
    Thanks, pal. Hopefully will see you soon! Verne Strickland.

Happy Easter. It ain’t about eggs and bunnies.

25. michael Reply

August 3, 2013 at 1:33 pm

WHERE IS CHAD NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!